Thursday, July 12, 2012

On The Road Again

Today will be my last day in Melbourne for a little while.  I've got a rental car lined up through Travellers Autobarn, which I'm fixing to pick up in a couple of hours.  They gave me 3 weeks to get from Melbourne to Cairns, and since it's only 2850 km (around 1800 miles), I'm giving some serious thought of taking the Great Ocean Road over to Adelaide, then up to Coober Pedy and Alice Springs, then over to Cairns.

Things are going well over here.  It's chilly and rainy.  I have a newfound respect for people who transcribe for a living.  It's tedious work.  That said, I'm not sure when I'll resume posting my journal from the Matisse.

Yesterday I canned my Global Gossip account and got a prepaid SIM from Vodafone.  Neither Global Gossip nor Optus allow data services on their 2G networks, and my phone isn't compatible with some of the 3G networks in Australia (not to mention most of the outback is 2G, where you can get service).  Telstra had better deals on data, but Vodafone's network appears to be more compatible with my phone.  To my pleasant surprise, when I popped in the Vodafone SIM, I got a 3G signal, and data started working instantly (the phone is a Samsung Vibrant, model number SGH-T959).  If anyone in the cell phone industry reads this, I have 2 things to say:

  1. Never require your customers to do any sort of manual setup to get data access (especially making them call customer service for APN configuration - I'm pretty tech-savvy and even I found it confusing)
  2. Yes, I know we all like to advertise how our "blazing fast" 4G networks are coming soon, but when 90% of your service area is still 2G only, please be upfront with your customers about whether or not they can get data on the 2G systems.  We know it will be slow, and that's okay.
Shout-outs to all the people I've met so far in Australia and the ones back home (and apologies if I've missed any names here):

  • to Siobhan and all the girls at the Last Jar: thanks for all the beer, and your food is incredible
  • to Khloe at Work n Holiday: Thanks for all the help
  • to Steph, Sissy, and Emma, who I met at the Drunken Poet last Thursday
  • to Ben and Kelly, who I met at the Last Jar
  • to Tanja, who I met at the Workers Club
  • to Kristof, who used to work at the YHA and was my roommate for a few days (they sang to him over the intercom when he checked out)
  • to Fabio, my roommate for a few days.  Hopefully you can learn enough English to get behind a bar and flip some bottles
  • To Lisa, my roommate for a few days.  Here's to a speedy recovery, and good luck on your research
  • To Jared, who I met at the YHA.  Good luck on the rigs.
  • To the two girls from Colorado I met Tuesday night (one was Susan, I never got the other girl's name).  Thanks for staying for the 2nd half of the show and coming up to the front with us
  • To Robert, who I met at the YHA.  Thanks for suggesting we meet the Nelson twins
  • To The Nelson Twins: Your act at The Comedy Lounge was great, and I did see you on TV Wednesday night.  Best of luck to you on Australia's Got Talent, and I hope it leads to lots of touring!
  • To Neville from the UK, who I met at the YHA.  Safe travels.
  • To Judith from Switzerland, who was my roommate for a few days.  Safe travels, and look me up if you ever get to the USA.
  • To Mike.  It was nice to finally meet you.  Best of luck with your knee - here's to a speedy recovery and lots of good times chasing around the kiddies.
  • To everyone back home.  I miss you all and wish you the best.
  • To my family.  Thanks for taking care of things while I'm gone, and putting up with me that last week when things got crazy
  • To Wayne, Justin, and David: Thanks for 6 awesome years.  Keep it going, and try not to strangle anyone.  It's bad for business.
  • To Miss Shirley, in Taylortown.  I haven't forgotten about that postcard.
  • To all the guys from the Matisse.  Thanks for all the stories.  May the wind be always at your back and the waves calm.
  • To Harvey and Eric, who were my fellow passengers on the Matisse.  Thanks for all the great tips on Australia, and for all your stories as well.  Safe travels.
  • And to everyone else.  Thank you and enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment