Saturday, June 2, 2012

Bon Voyage

Well, today's the big day.  The Matisse is about 60 miles out, headed to the Garden City terminal in Savannah, where I will board her this afternoon.  According to the port agent, she will leave around 2100 or 2200 tonight (that's 9 or 10 pm to those of you who don't do 24-hour time).  I'm quite excited, and also a little nervous.  I still can't believe this is actually happening.

These last couple weeks have been a bit hectic, at least in terms of making sure everything is squared away.  I finished moving out of my house in Cookeville last week; I had to go back up Tuesday to finish moving again, and brought out another truckload of stuff.  In hindsight, preparing for this trip would have been a lot easier if I wasn't also moving out of a house.

I got to see some old friends before I left, which was great, but there were a lot more people that I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to.  I guess that means the rest of you have to come visit me in Australia.

I've added some links to the blog recently.  Check them out, especially the info and pictures of the ship.  You can follow my progress to Melbourne with the details and tracking link.

Mom, Dad, and I went downtown yesterday and ate on the riverfront.  Mom took a bunch of pictures of boats and even got a few of a ship as it launched - the YASA Ozcan.

As much as I want to pretend I'm doing this by myself, it takes a great deal of support from those around you to make something like this happen.  Thanks to everyone (especially my family) for lending a hand and putting up with me these last few weeks of preparation.  Thanks to Mom and Dad for keeping my dog while I'm gone, and Jim and Marilyn Ault for keeping her while Mom and Dad are sending me off.

I don't know how much I'll be able to update the blog between now and when I land in Melbourne, so pictures and stuff may just have to wait.  I'm scheduled to land on the 4th of July, but anything can happen between now and then.  That's the adventure of ship travel :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment